Learn more about who are candidates for IVF
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is one of the most-effective fertility treatments available. For decades, IVF has given men and women the opportunity to bring home healthy babies and create happy families. Many patients wonder who are good candidates for IVF. Mark Rispler MD and Joshua J. Berger MD, PhD have the answers.
Basic fertility treatments or IVF
Men and women often ask about their fertility treatment options. Many patients will conceive after optimizing their natural fertility or pursuing intrauterine insemination (IUI), but some patients will need a little extra assistance. A reputable fertility specialist will reevaluate treatment after each cycle, adjusting the medication dosage and establishing an individualized cycle timeline. Our Los Angeles fertility doctor advises women to consider moving to IVF after three unsuccessful IUI cycles.
Understanding when candidates for IVF should start treatment
Basic fertility treatment appeals to many people, especially women under 35, but we sometimes recommend IVF at the onset of treatment. Combining sperm and an egg in the IVF lab gives our team control over fertilization and the opportunity to evaluate the quality of embryos before transfer.
Here are some situations where our Los Angeles fertility doctor may determine patients are good candidates for IVF.
- Advanced maternal age necessitates moving to IVF. Time is of the essence when a woman’s egg quality and quantity begin to rapidly decline. We will include ovarian reserve testing as part of the initial fertility workup, and may advise these women to proceed directly to IVF.
- IVF is the standard protocol for blocked Fallopian tubes. Repairing blocked tubes is not as effective as moving to IVF to address tubal infertility. In natural conception, sperm fertilizes the ovulated egg in the Fallopian tube. With IVF, this occurs in the IVF lab.
- Recurrent miscarriage can feel devastating, but IVF provides hope. Advances in preimplantation genetic screening (PGS) allow our Los Angeles fertility doctor to avoid transferring embryos with chromosomal abnormalities, a leading cause of miscarriage. IVF with PGS provides an effective tool for finding answers after recurrent miscarriage, unexplained infertility or a history of failed IVF cycles.
- IVF addresses low sperm count or sperm disorders. Men with issues that might prevent a pregnancy through natural conception or IUI receive a fertility boost with IVF and intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
- Gay men and single fathers. These men can become fathers with help from IVF using an egg donor and a gestational carrier.
- Couples who prefer to have a single birth. IVF with a single embryo transfer (SET) can eliminate multiple births and the associated health risks to the mother and the
At Innovative Fertility Center, we support our patients on the journey to parenthood. Moving to IVF is a very personal choice, and one that our Los Angeles fertility doctor will help prepare you to make. Contact our office to schedule a consultation to determine whether you are a candidate for IVF.