Don’t forget the man in your life by reviewing male fertility evaluation basics
When a couple struggles with infertility, people often assume the issue is related to the female partner. Approximately one-third of infertility cases occur because of male factor infertility. Dr. Mark Rispler, our Manhattan Beach fertility center expert, recommends a male fertility evaluation as part of our standard fertility work-up.
We take critical steps that begin with male fertility evaluation
When you first visit our Manhattan Beach fertility center, Dr. Rispler will order a full fertility assessment, which involves gathering an extensive medical history, performing a variety of blood tests, and ordering a baseline sonogram. This panel will give Dr. Rispler important clues about potential roadblocks to conception. For the initial male fertility evaluation, Dr. Rispler will also schedule a semen analysis.
Demystifying the male fertility evaluation process
With a semen analysis, your partner will need to provide a sperm sample. This specimen is then sent to the laboratory for review. If the test shows any abnormalities, our Manhattan Beach fertility specialist will devise a plan, and may refer your partner to a urologist for a physical exam.
Typically, a semen analysis will look at the following characteristics:
- Volume – Measures how much semen appears in one ejaculation
- Liquefaction time – Identifies the time it takes for the semen to become liquid
- Sperm count – Labels the actual number of sperm present in the sample
- Shape – Identifies the percentage of normal sperm in the sample
- Motility – Shows the percentage of sperm that can move forward normally
- pH level – Measures the acidity or alkalinity of the semen
- Fructose level – Registers the amount of a sugar called fructose in the sample
Don’t let infertility struggles stop you from achieving your dreams of parenthood. Our Manhattan Beach fertility center provides top-notch fertility care, including male fertility evaluation. Contact us for more information or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Rispler.
Innovative Fertility Male InfertilityTweet