Find relationship tips for couples facing infertility and reconnect with your partner
Struggling to get pregnant can take a physical and emotional toll on couples. Joshua J. Berger MD, PhD of our Los Angeles fertility center understands infertility can put a strain on any relationship. To help, the team at Innovative Fertility Center offers relationship tips for couples facing infertility.
Our clinic offers helpful relationship tips for couples facing infertility
During infertility treatment, many couples focus all their efforts on trying to conceive. However, we recommend taking time to reconnect with your partner during this stressful process. The following relationship tips for couples facing infertility can help you and your partner regain your footing as a couple.
- Avoid the blame game. As part of a complete fertility evaluation, your doctor will evaluate both partners for barriers to pregnancy. Once you have the results, focus on treatment options and don’t blame each other for any fertility issues.
- Maintain a united front. Commit to attending appointments together, regularly processing emotions and agreeing on what you want to tell friends and family.
- Share openly. You and your partner may be tempted to keep your feelings to yourselves, but regularly checking in and communicating your fears will help you stay connected.
- Focus on fun. Schedule time not related to fertility treatments and agree to table all talk about the subject. See a movie, plan a picnic or explore the city to put some levity back in your relationship.
- Bring back the romance. Trying to get pregnant can take the spontaneity out of sex. Light some candles, pull out the lingerie and enjoy the pleasure of lovemaking.
Finally, at some point, you and your partner may consider a short moratorium on trying to conceive. Giving yourselves some time off can allow you to refresh and regroup.
Taking the next step with Innovative Fertility Center
Infertility treatment doesn’t have to strain your relationship with your partner if you follow our relationship tips for couples facing infertility.
If you haven’t started fertility treatment yet, please contact our Los Angeles fertility center to schedule a consultation. Our team will guide you through each step of the process, providing support for your medical and emotional needs.